Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Silly question, but where am I exactly??

I just booked our hotel for our first time in NYC and I have no idea what part of the city it is considered to be in. We will be staying at the doubltree metropolitan. Is that mid town?? mid town east, south? I am looking up dinning on the reccomended menupages.com and because it is my first visit I dont know what is where.

Wow this is all so much more confusing than I thought!!

Thanks

Silly question, but where am I exactly??

You will be in Midtown or sometimes referred to as Midtown East.

Silly question, but where am I exactly??

The hotel is at E. 51st and Lexington, which would be considered midtown east. I have stayed in the area and loved it there. Be sure to go to Ess-A-Bagel and Buttercup Bakery, which are both close to where you are. Don%26#39;t limit yourself to restaurants in the midtown east area, though. There are great restaurants all over Manhattan, just a taxi or subway ride (or a nice walk) away!


Good location. The #6 Lexington Ave. local subway is right downstairs (enter on your side of Lexington for the Uptown train; across Lex for the Downtown train). You can also access the E and V trains from that station, but it%26#39;s easier if you just walk up two blocks and enter under the Citigroup Bldg. at 53rd and Lex.

You can easily go crosstown (to theater, for example) by bus. Crosstown buses run along 50th St. (eastbound) and 49th St. (westbound).

Your hotel is in a business district, so while it%26#39;ll be busy during weekdays, weekends and evenings won%26#39;t be. For more neighborhood-type restaurants, walk a couple of blocks east, toward 1st Avenue.

You%26#39;re also just a short walk from Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, the United Nations, and Bloomingdales.


I believe your hotel is at 51 street and lexington Ave. Midtown east.

Nice neighborhood, near Bloomingdales (57th and Lex) not far from Rock Center, MoMA, Whitney. E, V, 4, 5, and 6 subway lines are at the station at 51st and Lexington so you can get around town very easily.

Don%26#39;t be confused, even people like me who have lived here all their lives often get confused when leaving the areas where they live and work.

PS it helps to give addresses when asking about things here. There are 2 doubletree hotels, 4 hiltons (i think), etc.


For a great map, check out Not For Tourists.

Sign up on their website and you can print all their maps for free. Or, just go ahead and buy the whole book. I love mine!

http://www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx


Here%26#39;s kind of a weird suggestion....we watch Cash Cab on the Discovery channel and it%26#39;s really helped us with our directional issues. I least I hope it%26#39;s helping! We had major getting lost problems on our first trip there back in June. Now I%26#39;m determined to conquer the subway and my constant state of confusion.

Have a great trip! Go Buckeyes :)))

  • Cats
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment