Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Long Layover at EWR Can I visit Ground Zero?

I have a 7 hour layover in New Jersey (EWR) starting at 10am. I would love to go visit Ground Zero. I have done a Google search to see it%26#39;s just 12 miles away but I do realize it%26#39;s probably very congested and someone else told me the area around the airport is very bad and I should just stay at the airport. I dont want to overreact but I%26#39;d rather hear that from someone who knows and not from paranoid people who have never been outside the airport.

How would I get there? Would a cab take me there or is there a simple way to do it? How much time should I allow myself.

Thanks!!!!!

Long Layover at EWR Can I visit Ground Zero?

Airtrain to Newark Penn Station

www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

PATH from Newark Penn Station to WTC

www.pathrail.com

Long Layover at EWR Can I visit Ground Zero?

Airtrain from EWR to Penn Station, New York.

';E'; train DOWNTOWN to last stop, World Trade Center

OR the way suggested in the other post.

Seven hours is more than enough time to do this and you will have time to walk around the financial district. You might even have time to take a ride on the Staten Island ferry.

A taxi is not the way to go - slower than the train and more expensive.

Travel time EWR to WTC and back to EWR - less than 2 hours

Ground Zero and the area less than an hour

Staten Island ferry -less than 90 minutes round trip


Just make sure they will let you through-check your bags - with such a long layover they MIGHT make you claim them and then recheck 4 hours before - rules keep changing.

I%26#39;ve spent many hours at the DMV in Surprise!


From Airport, take Monorail to NJTransit. Get off NJTransit in Newark and hop on the PATH to the WTC. Lets you off in the middle of Ground Zero.

NJT Transit Airport to Newark=10 minute ride (add 10-15 minute wait time for train to come thru, longer on weekend. Go to NJTransit for schedule online)

PATH Newark to WTC=30min (again add 10-15 min to wait for train to come thru). Cost =$2 each way

Don%26#39;t forget to leave time to get back thru Airport Security and screening.

Forget cab = would be about $40-60 each way and they definitely get stuck in car traffic.

Walking perimeter of WTC (16 acres) can easily take an hour to stop and view, read signage. Just opened a new Memorial Center on south side of site.


Thanks for all your posts.

I would think the bags will be checked all the way through since it is an international flight. I am going from Phoenix to Belfast with the layover in EWR.

As far as spending hours in the DMV in Surprise, join the club!!! that place is a nightmare! Sorry you were stuck in there too.

At least we can now get our tabs online so there is no need to go to the DMV yearly anymore!

  • cute names for baby girl rats
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment